inspiring Design Books

I love design books, particularly those demonstrating uniqueness, creativity and insightful discourse. These gems, scattered throughout my rooms and lining my bookshelves, consistently inspire me in my designs – provoking me to view design through different lenses and to consider alternate approaches…flipping through their worn pages, I am compelled to design and I rarely make it through the chapters before I hop up and begin a new project or rearrange a display.
The following six are a selection of my ‘go to’ design books. I have included the book cover photo, which, for all of these books, well represents their unique and distinct flavor…to respect the copyrights, I’ve refrained from including their beautiful content pictures (very hard to resist considering the amazing photos…be sure to check them out in person!)

One of my favorites, that I return to again and again, is the design book The Family at Home by Anita Kaushal (2007). This beautiful book, featuring inspiring designs that support family life, captures a simplicity of style that is calming and refreshing, and reminiscent of Scandinavian design aesthetic. It is full of creative and unique designs that demonstrate Anita’s message of ‘the resonance of home’. I am especially drawn to Anita’s focus on and ability to merge beautiful designs with the functionality of family life. These designs exalt the preciousness of this merged functionality, creating design with depth and meaning – very inspiring. [Kaushal, Anita. (2007). The Family at Home. New York, NY: Clarkson Potter/Publishers.]

favorite home decor books

Another favorite, and very appropriately titled, is The Inspired Home by Karen Lehrman Bloch (2013). This design book is chock-full of beautiful homes by many well-known designers – including some of my most favorite, such as Vincente Wolf, Darryl Carter and Donna Karan, and many others who are now on my favorite list. Karen organizes the contents into themes that, for me, resonate ‘meaningful design’: authenticity, simplicity, balance, surprise and grandeur…and her chosen homes/designs beautifully represent these themes. In the introduction, Karen states “A home that “works” is deeply restorative and can even embolden and inspire…a place so steeped in beauty that it has the capacity to transform us…”; this is certainly evident in the designs she has captured. [Lehrman Bloch, Karen. (2013). The Inspired Home. New York, NY; HarperCollins Publishers.]

favorite home decor books

Your Home Your Sanctuary (2008) by Clodagh is another inspiring gem. Clodagh showcases minimalist interiors balanced with rustic and organic touches that create calm and peaceful spaces. Each space in the home is included and individually the focus of one chapter. Clodagh guides the reader, pairing photographs of beautiful and inspiring spaces with insightful suggestions for achieving a similar effect and ambience in one’s own home. She directs readers to “consider the way you wish to live” and provides simple, relevant and achievable suggestions on how to ‘get there’…such as adding a familiar scent to your entrance way to imbue a sense of security and support. [Clodagh. (2008), Your Home Your Sanctuary. New York, NY; Rizzoli International Publications, Inc.]

favorite home decor books

 

Creating the Look: Swedish Style by Katrin Cargill (1996), despite its age, remains one of my go-to books. Every page in this book has a treasure that inspires and influences me: the Swedish style embroidered linens or hand painted wall motifs; the light-filled rooms with white painted furniture and rustic daybeds; wild flowers in enamelware paired with candle holders adorned with crystals; and casual linen swags patterned with wreathes, bees and crowns. I love this book for its rustic simplicity and hand crafted designs – designs that feel meaningful and real. [Cargill, Katrin. (1996). Creating the Look: Swedish Style. Frances Lincoln Limited.]

favorite home decor books

 

Home from Concept to Reality by Kelly Hoppen (2007) has a design aesthetic that is a departure from my usual tendency…that I bought it despite this, speaks volumes to its value – I only buy design books that I love, love, love and can ‘stand the test of time’ (I often visit the bookstore for several ‘peruses’ before I actually spend the money to take it home) – I bought it immediately as I just couldn’t put it down. Kelly outlines her design process, providing practical advice, list and charts to those embarking on design projects, and captures her spectacular designs in inspiring pictures throughout the book. What I love the most is Kelly’s ability to view design from a unique perspective, using materials and treatments in new and creative ways. Her book inspires new and fresh ideas in my designs projects. [Hoppen, Kelly (2007), Home from Concept to Reality. New York, NY. Little, Brown and Company Hachette Book Group.]

favorite home decor books


A design book by Tricia Guild, it seems to me, is a staple in any design collection. I started my design book collection 20 years ago with Tricia’s book In Town Contemporary Design for Urban Living (1996) and have now replaced this with her more recent A Certain Style (2010). Simply the artistic styling of this book compels me to buy it – its black and white strips paired with a chintz-like floral photo, bright orange edging on the pages and a black and lime ribbon bookmark – it screams artistic and creative…and is a beautiful coffee table display item. Tricia’s designs throughout the book are, in her usual style, just as artistic and creative. She mixes traditional and formal with casual and hip with hits of rich color in, what I would call, a bohemian flare that is energizing and inspiring. [Guild, Tricia. (2010). A Certain Style. London. Alhambra House.]
favorite home decor books


These are my favorite handful of design books. They showcase beautiful, creative and unique designs and capture, it seems to me, what is meaningful and important in design. For me they are an enduring source of inspiration and guidance.

I hope you enjoy!

I’d love to know what you design books you treasure.  Let me know in the comments section below.

Have a beautiful week!

 

xo

shelley

Comments