back to work

heart-home-health-casual-farmhouse-decor-reading-

It’s January. Christmas vacation is over and it’s time to get back to work….well, actually I’ve spent a good chunk of vacation time plastering walls and painting so I should say back to my other work…my other work that I also love, as a nurse teaching at the local Baccalaureate College. I love my work in health care and I love-love-love my work in design…but it’s kind of a weird combination!…and every day of the last 30 years I’ve wondered ‘Health and Design – what’s the connection??!! Well, let me tell you what I’ve figured out – the connection is nothing and yet also, I think, it is everything.

…nothing…well not completely nothing. , I have found connections between the two concepts – people, creativity, organics, and many others points of curious interest.

…but more importantly, I have also found it’s everything…core, essential interconnections between health and design. And I have to tell you, so much of the really deeply important, meaningful things I know about beautiful design – the stuff that makes design awe-inspiring and fulfilling – has come from my experiences as a nurse…walking with people through their life’s journey, through the darkness and light. Seeing first hand, experiencing, what sustains and brings hope, even in the most dismal moments of shattered dreams; and, what, in moments offering pure joy, can block that hope, those dreams and the joy. It’s the essence of what makes our life our own, feeding us and supporting us – the essence that, if we can capture it, brings us joy and contentment…it brings us beautiful design and it brings us health.

It is this essence that inspires and compels me in both health care and design…those glimpses of what is genuine and real that connects us to everything around us, to people, to nature, to our home, to our lives. It is what I love about my work…all my work, in both health and design.

So after a vacation full of designing (and lounging by the fire with a glass of wine!), I look forward to returning to my other work and connecting to the genuine beauty and inspiration in life.

Have a beautiful week!


xo
Shelley





Comments