beautiful industrial concrete countertop

I love the look and feel of finished concrete –  the texture and feeling that is both organic and industrial – and although typical in modern and industrial design, I think it works really well in many other genres…it reminds me of old French farmhouses and converted barn spaces.

I used concrete for a fabulous countertop in my bathroom – it is easy, flexible and creative.  There are tons of instruction online…but it is super easy, just trowel several coats of a feather finish (made to be able to be trowelled on very thinly) concrete product onto a rough material, such as plywood, and seal.

concrete-counter-bathroom-industrial-shelley-goertz-

I wanted an especially distressed look with some efflorescence and color variation so I faux-finished using drywall compound and some cement powder, troweling it into the surface to highlight the texture (I used drywall compound because it is what I had available to create needed a white color – applied in this very thin way and mixed with the cement powder it has been durable).

Many of the online instructions suggest using Ardex, however I couldn’t find this so used a topping product available at The Home Depot (it had thread fibres that I needed to screen out prior to using).  The challenges I found were getting the feather finish to stick to the vertical sides  –  especially  the edge between top on side which kept chipping off and needing to be refilled – and trowelling it to a perfectly flat finish.

concrete-counter-bathroom-industrial-shelley-goertz-
The counter is very durable – no scratching or chipping – and looks really cool.  I love the contrast between the distressed cement and the white porcelain sink and tap handles (and the crystal chandelier).

Have a beautiful week!

xo

shelley

Comments